Monday, September 1, 2008

The early years

I met Eddie in the early 1950's at St. Cyrils grade school in Encino. We were the graduating class of 1958 (from eigth grade) and went on to Notre Dame High School where I failed religion after ten years in Parochial school. I remembered Mary and Joseph - but couldn't remember the kids name. This is where I lost track of Eddie. But going back to the formative years I remember him as a freckle faced guy with reddish brown hair. Lots of energy and always looked a little unkept because he was so active in everything (particularly recess). He was a good kid, an average student and well liked by all. There is some irony in how I finally found Eddie. In 1990 I organized the first reunion of our 1958 graduating class. I was living in Granada Hills on Tilford Court - about one block from Nugent. I was able to locate about 55 of the 70 former classmates (pre internet and zabasearch). Eddie was among the missing. In 2000 we had another reunion and again we were unable to find Eddie. Then on August 2, 2008 we had a 50 year reunion. We thought we might have located Ed at that time (on Nugent) but no response to our letter. Then unfortunately three weeks after the reunion I was forwarded a notice from someone who was still in Notre Dame's good graces - that Ted Peterson had passed on. I inquired further and found out the particulars. Yes indeed Ted (we called him Eddie back in the day) and I had almost been neighbors for close to 30 years in and around Granada Hills. I went to his memorial service and passed on to his wife a picture of the 1958 graduation ceremony. I left the memorial with mixed feelings. A sense that I had failed in finding Ed who had lived so close - yet a happiness in meeting Eds wife and son Kyle. In that brief moment I felt that Ed had a very nice family and had probably had a very happy and fulfilling life. I still keep in touch with about 45 of Ed's former classmates and have notified them of his passing. I would like to have a nice family picture that I could forward on to our classmates so that they too might know that Ed had a great (but far too short) life. My condolences go out to the Peterson family. Just remember that Ed still has many friends from his formative years at St. Cyrils. Rest in Peace Eddie, your friend always - Mike Duffy

3 comments:

KP said...

Hey, Mike. Kyle -Ted's son- here. I have a little something to add to the irony of the last few days and your efforts to locate my dad. As you may or may not know, I inherited my dad's car the other day. My wife and I drove it back to our home in Santa Cruz just yesterday. While motoring up the I-5, I flipped down the visor and a letter addressed to my dad fell in my lap (my wife was driving). The return address is one, "Ms. Linda M. Lee," postmarked 14 MAR 2008. Inside was the St. Cyril's Class of 1958 50 Year Reunion invitation. I appears as if my dad did indeed know about the reunion and, I assume, was planning on attending. What do you think? Who is Linda?

KP said...

The following was gleaned from an email exchange between Mike Duffy and "Phil." Thanks for sharing this with me, Mike. -KP

Hi Mike,

Nice write up about Teddy. He and I used to hunt with our bows and arrows in the area near his home on Woodfield Drive which was just south of Royal Oaks Dr and east of Sepulveda when the 405 was just a dream. We lost a bunch of arrows and never bagged anything. This was 57/58.

Did you really flunk Religion at ND? I got an F in the 1st semester of my senior year at Alimony, I mean Alemany High. I transfered to Bham in Jan 62. From 77- 81 my wife & I lived in Canoga Park between Winnetka and Tampa and Victory and Vanowen. Did you ever get hot dogs at Cupids on Vanowen just east of Winnetka. They were great.

Catch you later. Phil

mike said...

Linda Lee is one of our principal reunion committee organizers. She lives on the coast in Moss Beach (right above Santa Cruz) and worked tirelessly trying to find former classmates. There will be a St. Cyrils reunion in 2010 - all classes. More info to follow. I remember seeing a Cobra somehwere in your block in the past. Could that be the car your dad left you? I lived in that neighborhood when the 94 quake hit. Remember driving down your block and seeing seeing a crane going up Nugent - one house after another - lifting broken chimneys off of peoples roofs. Mine came completely down. Mike.